Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Number 8 Realize Your Childhood Dream

July 20-July 25, 2008

Like the rest of America, when I was a kid, I was in love with the Mercury astronauts. I was sure I would become an astronaut and couldn't wait for my turn in space!! The Teacher in Space Program brought it even closer for me. Well...I'm pretty sure I couldn't pass a flight physical now so I had to make an adapted version of the dream - I went to Teacher Space Camp and I had a blast!!!





(Left)I was selected to be the Mission Commander. Here I am at the controls of the Endeavor simulator. Really, this is not as easy as it looks, I was a sweaty mess by the end of the mission.




(Right) This is me with the rest of the Endeavor crew. I found out it takes every person doing the best job they can do the get the mission completed. We had a great crew and their commander didn't crash the shuttle! Whew!





I also learned cool stuff to take back to my class. Here, I've made a model of a satellite out of candy. We also learned to make REALLY cool bottle rockets, got to meet some astronauts, built some solar shields and I even ran into a former student of mine!





We took the same training that the astronauts take. Here I am escaping from a submerged helicopter and swimming to meet up with my team (right). We also took anti-gravity training (cool!) and were tortured by this cetrifuge (didn't care for this... BLURP!)










(Below) This was kinda cool.

This is me riding a zipline












This is an actual space capsule that went to the moon


No comments:

Post a Comment