Friday, August 6, 2010

Number 16 Get into the World Book of Records

Date: September 4, 2010


I had a childhood friend, Pia Andersson, who got into the Guinness Book of World Records . She and a pal set the record for the longest time swinging on a swing set in one sitting. She was raising money for cancer research in the name of a classmate of ours who had died from cancer. I was pretty impressed with this feat and the motivation behind the act is especially poignant now.


Here are Pia and Matt on the swings they used to break the record.

I never thought I could beat any kind of record but I've done MANY things I never thought I'd do as of late so, why not?. I may just have the chance in a few weeks.

Okay, remember last year when I did Number 20 where I went to the science fiction convention in costume? Well, I had so much fun that I'm going back this year!! This not only provides me with a good time but it also allows me to work on Number 16 on my list. It seems that there will be two attempts at world record this year at Dragon Con in Atlanta. The first is to attempt to assemble the most superheroes in one place at one time and the second is to do the same for Star Trek characters. I'm busy at my sewing machine right now getting ready for this. Here are the numbers to beat

Current Superhero record is 1246

Current Star Trek record is 508
Stay tuned for updates on this!
September 4th, 2009: Oh, yeeeeeahhhh! Did it! Did it!! Did it!!!
I had two chances on this day to make a record. at 1:30, I went to the Westin Hotel in Atlanta for the official count. Here I am (left) lining up for a photo op with the rest of the (thirty or so) Wonder Women.
There was pretty much every superhero you could imagine there. Here are a few that I saw:



We even had a special guest to pump us up during the count. Lou Ferrigno, who played the Incredible Hulk, spoke to the group and took questions from the audience. He looked really incredible! He invited all the children super heroes up on the stage with him.

Sadly, we did not make the required number to beat the world record but it was still great fun!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That night at 8:30, there was another chance. So, with my friend, Rob, it was off to the the ballroom of The Sheraton in Atlanta in our best Star Trek garb.

Um...wow! I had never seen so many Trekkers!! We had to stand in line before the count and we saw costumes from all the versions of the Television show and the movies and even Christopher Pike (google it). Look at this crowd! After the time limit allowed, the doors were locked and we had to remain in place for ten minutes. It seemed like the longest ten minutes in my life that didn't involve a dentist drill. As you can imagine by the picture, we received some good news at the end of that ten minutes. We had 571 Trekkers ion the room and had set a new world record!!! Whoo Hooooooooo!!!!! Look for this in the next edition of the world record book.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I thought briefly about doing this one with you but I just don't think we can squeeze in a trip to Atlanta this fall; we've got a good bit on our plate already. But I can't wait to see photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure we'll have another chance...we have 101 chances, in fact!

    ReplyDelete