Sunday, June 19, 2011

Number 41 Be Friends with You Ex

June 10, 2006 - Present
Easy! For this one I chose Roger, my most recent ex. This is a love story that spans three decades and three continents!
We met in Europe right after I graduated college in 1984 and became friends because we were both from Boston and had the same birthday. We then found ourselves stationed together again in the continental United States. This is where we began our romantic relationship and maintained this relationship long-distance when he accepted a transfer to Asia.
We eventually figured out that we  simply couldn't work out the logistics of this relationship  not only because we couldn't get our selves on the same  side of the planet at the same time but his promotion while  overseas made it impossible for us to work in the same place because of fraternization regulations. Being sensible people, we decided to end the relationship on friendly terms and look for other possibilities. Roger is a great guy and I still count him among my best friends. He always had time to talk , a ready smile and a hanky (yeah, a hanky) - that's the kinda guy he is. He was recently lucky enough to find a soulmate in Asia and they married. I can't be jealous; she sounds like a great person and he sounds happy. I would want nothing less for him.  Roger will always have a special place in my heart. It was a good four years.

1 comment:

  1. What a great story and so lovely you guys are still so close.

    ReplyDelete