Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Number 49 See Both Solar and Lunar Eclipses

 

December 21, 2010 Part 1 - Lunar Eclipse 


Curled up on the sofa with
the camera ready to go!






 This was a pretty cool lunar eclipse to watch. It occurred on the Winter Solstice. That hasn't happened since 1632. Plus, there was a nice clear night for moonwatching.  Since it was starting at 1:33 a.m., I took a nice long nap so I could stay up and watch the whole thing. Didn't quite make it - I eventually had to rely on my alarm to keep waking me up. It was freezing outside so I snuggled up on a sofa near the door and ran out every half hour to snap a photo. 

So, here are the highlights:


At the beginning


A bigger bite gone

...'bout halfway there and turning "bloody"

Very faint image of the Blood Moon.

The starts to be visible again on the other side.

...and here is me- "eclipsed"
come morning.




3 comments:

  1. I set my alarm for 3:30 and it was almost at the zenith. Very cool thing to get up in the middle of the night to go outside in your pajamas and stare at the sky! Now if we could just get a solar eclipse in our neck of the woods...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures. I caught a lunar eclipse a couple of years ago, but my pictures are not very good! Love yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. im doing my own list please join me

    http://thingstodobeforeudie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete